allows you to conveniently search collections that are not cataloged in MERLOT.
On the MERLOT federated search page is a list of the 800+ learning object repositories included in MERLOT!
(The Open Education Consortium will soon be cataloged in MERLOT)
The following repositories can be search individually:
The SUNY Digital Repository – OERS
- This link retrieves all learning objects in the SUNY Digital Repository containing a CC license
- Academic Commons is dedicated to the development of free web-based resources for academic professionals focusing on liberal arts education via digital tools.
- The news aggregator showcases current developments and projects in the open education community.
- AcademicPub is a build-your-own-textbook service that offers students three different options for purchasing the book: digital download, paperback, or hardcover.
- Instructors can create a customized textbook with book chapters, case studies and journal articles.
- AcademicPub provides services to track how much royalties will cost for each custom textbook.
College Open Textbooks
- Approximately 100 peer-reviewed open textbooks collected by both non-profit and for-profit corporations.
- Includes a range of formats and copyright licenses, although all are free for use.
Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources
- The CCCOER collects open access resources for the creation of textbook alternatives, in addition to open content repositories and developmental tools.
- Access to over 500 open texbooks, as well as a useful guide to creating and implementing your own open access textbook.
Digital Public Library of America (DPLA)
- Contains links to a wide range of multimedia objects form libraries, archives and museums around the United States (so not international).
- The copyright status of items vary because it is collected from many sources. However, many items are public domain or available for re-use, and there is information in a "rights" field for each item.
Directory of Open Access Journals
- DOAJ is an online directory that indexes and provides access to quality open access, peer-reviewed journals.
- A multidisciplinary Open Access publisher of books and journals covering the fields of Science, Technology and Medicine.
- InTech as published more than 850 Open Access books, and provides support services for faculty who wish to publish a book or journal and make it available via Open Access.
- A publisher of college-level textbooks and educational supplements. The company originally offered every textbook published for free, but in November 2012, the company announced that it will no longer offer a free version citing financial concerns as the reason for the change.Educator teaching supplements and materials consistent with industry norms are available at no charge.
Global Textbooks Project
- A free library of thousands of texts for students in a range of topics covered in a university undergraduate program
- Join venture between the Terry College of Business of the University of Georgia and the Daniels College of Business of the University of Denver.
- Individual book chapters can be opened and modified to fit your own needs.
- Jorum is the place where you will find free open educational resources (OER) shared and created under CC licenses by those who teach in or create content for the further and higher education communities in the UK.
- At Lumen Learning, we help institutions transition high-enrollment courses to open educational resources and then reap the benefits for their students, faculty and campus communities.
- Free online peer-reviewed publication service for medical resources such as teaching materials, assessment tools and faculty development.
- Promotes educational collaboration through the open exchange of scholarly educational resources.
- Users can download and utilize any and all of the published resources for educational purposes without legal infringements.
- Provides over 1600 open teaching and learning resources: online presentations; course material; learning modules; podcasts; simulation tools.
- Created by the NSF-funded Network for Computational Nanotechnology
OLCOS – Open eLearning Content Observatory Services
OER Commons: Open Textbooks
- This catalog contains hundreds of college-level open textbooks from higher education institutions around the world.
Ohio Digital Bookshelf Project
- A pilot project for the Ohio Textbook HQ, the Ohio Digital Bookshelf aims to provide inexpensive higher-ed textbooks.
- Free registration required to view textbooks.
Open Course Library
- Range of manterials including syllabi, course activities, and assessments created by faculty, instructional designers, librarians, other experts. Some of these materials are intended to be paired with textbooks.
- This is a smaller collection, but is sponsored by the Washington State Board of Education and therefore the materials have undergone testing for accessibility and assessed for quality.
- Unless otherwise noted, all materials are shared under a Creative Commons (CC BY) license.and are available for download and editing via Google Docs.
Open CourseWare Consortium
- Free and open digital publication of high quality educational materials, organized as courses.
- A collaboration of more than 200 higher education institutions and associated organizations from around the world creating a board and deep body of open educational content using a shared model.
- OpenStax College offers free textbooks that meet scope and sequence requirements for most courses. These are peer-reviewed texts written by professional content developers.
Open Textbook Catalog
- A catalog of open access textbooks to be reviewed by faculty members, made available by the University of Minnesota's College of Education and Human Development.
- All textbooks in this catalog are openly licenses, complete, and available in print at very little cost.
SCORE: Support Center for Open Educational Resources in Education
- This is a UK-based List of Tools and Resources for Finding Open Educational Resources
- A free and open, online, not-for-profit art history textbook with complete multimedia content.
- Offers research and resources for understanding and promoting the benefits of OERs for students.
- Offers a number of e-Textbooks sorted by author and topic
- All of the textbooks can be downloaded for free and many of them can be purchased in print form
- A student-run site dedicated to increasing the use of free educational materials by teachers and professors
- The approach is to bring all of the free textbooks they can find together in one place, review them, and let the best rise to the top and find their way into the hands of students in classrooms around the world
- The open-content textbooks collection that anyone can edit.
- An evolving online community intended for the planning of education projects linked with the development of free content and the development of free content on WikiEducator for free learning.